Literacy Centre for Expertise Interactive Readers
If you work with a beginning or low lever reader, this resource might be for you. The Literacy Centre for Expertise has created 40 interactive phonics-based stories for adult literacy learners.
- All stories are aimed at adults, present relatable topics, and feature photos/audio of actual students and teachers from The Immigrant Education Society.
- They can be viewed on any digital device (computers, smartphones, smartboards, etc.) and can also be printed to give to students.
- Each set of 10 stories has a specific phonics focus for different levels of literacy learners, including initial sounds, short vowels, long vowels, and comparing long and short vowel sounds.
- The interactive stories are formatted into sections, each with a different focus:
- Oral language: audio is paired with correlating images
- Story: audio paired with correlating images and text
- Explicit phonics practice: interactive review of different phonics features
- Sight words: review page highlighting sight words from the story
- Along with interactive and PDF versions of each story, you will also find teacher’s guides and instructional videos that provide direction on how these resources can be fully utilized in the classroom.