It is always a good idea to begin a writing activity by introducing the activity and reflecting on the topic you will write about. Here are some activities to do with your learner before they start writing a text.
- Talk about the writing process
- Talk about how they feel about writing
- Read and analyze a model text – you can find some on the Reading Resources page
- Watch a video on the topic and talk about it
- Talk about a picture on the topic – a writing prompt is a great way to start
- Brainstorm some ideas – if you’re in a Zoom session, here’s a YouTube video that gives you an idea of how to use the interactive whiteboard while you brainstorm or check out our Tutors And Tea video from November.
- Create a mind map of key words or ideas – Reading Partners of San Jose Library have two great videos. Search for ‘mind mapping’ in their YouTube collection
- Do a Q&A – use can do this orally or using a texting App
- Develop a word bank full of vocabulary that can be used during the writing activity